Wednesday, April 6, 2016

And goodbye Apple, too

So, this one's a bit more subtle. The reason I was selling the Macbook in the first place (see earlier post) was that it's basically a massive pain in the ass trying to run Linux on Apple hardware. The EFI boot system is non-standard, the retina screen is poorly supported, and the wirless card does not have a free driver. It's a shame in a way, because Apple hardware is beautiful, and really robust. But Apple, in the end, are not a hardware company - they are an 'experience' company - they want to sell you the hardware, software, and services package, and they don't want to give you the freedom to go things the way you want to.

So, give up on Linux, or give up on Apple hardware? Not a hard decision really. I don't want an operating system that requires I have an AppleID. I don't want an OS that thinks it knows what I want better than I do. And, even for the hardware, the price premium you pay is ludicrous - see next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment